Checking the text in side bar

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I resigned

March 1, 5:38 PM I resigned from the position of Software Engineer, company - Qwest Software Services. At 9:43 PM I am sitting in the office. A release got over 3 days back, so there is no work. There are couple of people sitting around but I feel like I am alone. It was the same office, same area I was coming daily for last 2 years, well almost 2 years. There is still some time left before I finally leave but I am already feeling detached. Looks like something just got ended, I feel like I have written the last exam of last semester of my college, though still some time was left, but I was already feeling detachment.

I remember, I first came to this office at 9:30 AM, 26th April 2004, Monday. I wore a provogue shirt, a provogue trouser and redtap shoes. First seat, I took was in training room. The office was blank (almost). Only half of the area had furniture. There was no cafeteria and other half of the floor was used by less than 40 people to have lunch. No evening snacks were available then. It was as if the big place and the huge space was available for us to hang around. My first training session was on .Net. There were 9 people in training room includig people like me who had no software experience and people like Raghu, Sajal having 4 years of industry experience. It was good to feel that I was not totally alienated and concepts are quite acceptable. I started my software career.

There are so many memories of people. people that I never appriciated, people that I never thought I will ever appreciate, but when I am leaving today I see how much I have learnt from the company. I appreciate how much I have learnt from the people with whom I have worked. I actually liked my job and never really complained about the work. Yes I never complained about the work, unbelievable. There are people who have made my stay most comfirtable. Some of them would now be life time friends. There is so much I have learnt from the in terms of work and people management. There is something I guess I will never be able to learn. Everyone, I worked or roamed around with, knows that.

It is so weired the thoughts that come to your mind when you leave a palce after two years. I remember my first dinner in Bangalore. It was a glass-walled restaurant on the top floor of Bangalore's highest building (Utility Building). I thank my IITK gang for making my entry to Bangalore such a great occassion. We lived together in a really small house but it was fine as long as we were together. I remember eating choclate fantasies at cafe coffee day and watching movies at Cauvery theater. I remember playing scrabble at 3 AM and shouting at milk man at 7 in the morning. Alok helped to get my first (and only) car. And I went with him to buy a bike. What a trust we share.

It was 10 PM, first week of May 2004, when I was shifting luggage from guest house to my new house in Sadashiv Nagar in Auto with Hitesh Shah. It was all dark and I though how will I ever remember these complicated roads. How will I ever trust Autos and take a ride alone with confidence of not getting cheated.I had a hard time to remember roads to Majestic, Jaynagar, BTM, Bannarghatta, ITPL and all. Today I can draw the map of Bangalore.I can tell you the number of signals that you will face on a route. I know where I can get choclate excess at 2 AM and where I can get a Smirnoff at 3 in the morning.

And time has come. Soon I will be gone, detached from Bangalore, detached from Qwest, detached from company friends and detached from IITK gang. I feel alone, but I am moving to a new place with same excitement that I had when I came to Bangalore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home